• No Obligation
  • Save up to 35% online
Get a FREE Quote

Unfortunately it is a sad fact but students are high risk targets for thieves. As a student you are likely to own expensive consumer goods. It is no surprise then that 1 in 3 students become a victim of crime each year. In fact 16-24 year old are 3 times more likely to be victims of burglary than any other age group.*

Many students believe their belongings will be covered by their parents' home insurance even whilst they are away at college or university. In most instances this is not the case. E&L® Student Insurance can provide you with peace of mind and let you get on with enjoying your time at college or university.

  • 50% online discount
  • Personal possessions cover for certain fire, theft, vandalism and water damage up to £8,000
  • Cover for missed exams and reimbursement of college/university fees and rent should you become injured and unable to attend.

We understand that as a student you are on a tight budget; that's why our premiums start from as little as £1.50 for a monthly policy. That's cheaper than a pint to insure all of your personal possessions! Can you really afford not to be covered? Personal Possessions insurance covers your belongings in your house, flat or halls of residence.

To find out more about the cover and benefits our student insurance has to offer please take a look at our policy information. For more specific queries about the insurance policy please take a look at our Student FAQs.

Get a quote for university student insurance and see how little you could be paying to cover your personal possessions.

* norfolk.police.uk

Student Possessions Policy Information

  Monthly1 Yearly
Legal Liability for Personal Injury to Others

or legal liability for personal injury to others caused by your use of the insured items.

£1.5m £1.25m
Legal Liability in Respect of Landlord's Property

For loss of or damage to property caused by your use of insured items.

£5,000 £4,000
Fraudulent Use of Credit Card

In total for all cards.

£1,500 £1,250
College Property on Loan £500
Max £250 for books
Max £200 for books
Personal Accident

or your personal injury sustained by your use of the insured items.

£1,500 £1,200
Permanent Disablement Due to Theft or Fire £65,000 £60,000
Permanent Disablement Due to Mugging or Assault £65,000 £60,000
Permanent Disablement Due to Motor Vehicle or Public Transport Accident £20,000 £15,000
Other Cause of Permanent Disablement £20,000 £15,000
Missed Exams

Towards the additional costs or resitting due to an accident causing bodily injury.

Max sum insured value £2,500 £250 single item limit Max sum insured value £2,000 £250 single item limit
Reimbursement of Fees, Rent and College Expenses

Paid in advance and not recoverable for the period you are unable to attend college, in excess of seven days, due to accident.

£1,000 £750
Accidental Death of Parent

If a parent or guardian on whom you rely to help finance your course dies as a result of an accidental, external injury.

£7,000 £6,000
Telephones and Meters

For loss or damage.

£250 £200

Security Requirements

Please see our Student Security Requirements document.


The excess is the amount you pay towards a claim. It is £59 for all sections except Public Liability where it is £260. The excess is double for claims under all sections for area codes D and E and Worldwide.

1. Lunar monthly policy (more information)

The following discounts are available on E&L® Student Possessions Insurance:

  • 50% online discount

The total maximum discount per policy is 50%.

Introductory discounts provided only apply to new policies taken out online.

To be eligible for E&L® Student Possessions Insurance the following conditions must be met:

Please see the Student Possessions Insurance Policy Wording for full eligibility criteria.

Please have a look at the cycle security lock list if you are adding a bicycle to your policy.

Register a Claim

Several of our claim forms are available to download online in PDF format. After completing the form you will be provided with a download link to your requested claim form which you can simply print out, fill in and either fax or post to us.

To complete the form please click here

View our Testimonials pages.

Off to uni? Be sure to get student insurance before you go!

For students who are headed off to college or university, it can be an exciting - and also scary - time. Leaving home and settling into a new place can be fun but it can also have its drawbacks. This is especially true for students who are living in halls, with no prior knowledge of the people they will be living with.

It's an unfortunate fact that an estimated one in three students is a victim of crime each year. However, it's also important to remember that loss, accidental damage and personal injuries also happen on a regular basis. As a student living away from home, this can not only be distressing, but it could also cause interruption to studies.

Here at E&L, we offer student insurance that covers a variety of eventualities that might befall a young scholar away from home, giving both students and parents peace of mind. So why not get a free online quote today or get in touch to find out more?

What does student insurance cover?

Many students mistakenly believe that they will be covered by their parents' home contents insurance policies while at uni. However, in most cases, this is not true and you should check this carefully with your insurance provider.

When choosing university insurance, you should look for a policy that offers protection for books and personal belongings, as well as the technology that you use for your studies - for example, many students have a laptop computer that they use for their coursework.

With E&L, you can rest assured that your possessions will be protected from certain fire, theft, vandalism and water damage. And our students' contents insurance is valid whether you live in a flat, share a house or stay in halls.

As well as protection for your physical belongings, the student insurance that we offer also includes personal accident cover and liability cover as standard. Plus, if you miss exams due to illness or injury, you may be eligible for some reimbursement or additional funds to cover the costs of sitting rescheduled assessments.

If you decide to get university insurance from E&L, you can choose one of two payment plans: yearly or monthly. Based on the 28-day lunar month, the monthly option offers a lower price, but with increased coverage and better premium rates.

Choose E&L and get top marks for UK student insurance

As a respected provider of personal line niche insurance, E&L has been working with UK customers for over 70 years. We are committed to ensuring that our customers get the right policies for their requirements - and with our low prices, you really can't afford not to get university insurance from us.

As well as students' contents insurance, we also offer cover for specialist hobbies and activities - so whether you enjoy camping or photography in your free time, there's sure to be a plan that keeps you and your equipment adequately protected.

To find out more about our student insurance, such as what the policies cover and the types of benefits you will enjoy with a plan from E∓L, be sure to check our student insurance FAQs. And why not check out the most recent student news to find out about the latest trends, as well as ways to protect yourself while at uni?